Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Tuesday Water Cooler: 9-Mar-2010

[Original Post at my Blog | My Blog]

For 37 years I've practiced 14 hours a day, and now they call me a genius, Pablo de Sarasate, violinist and composer (1844-1908).


Sarasate, apart from being a virtuoso, is perhaps best reknown for his composition,
Zigeunerweisen (Gypsy Airs). Apparently, he composed that song specifically to showcase his mastery (much like Paganini's motivation for his concerti).

Surprisingly, there aren't many videos of Zigeunerweisen by top-tier violinists in Youtube. The cleanest one found is by Zino Francescatti. For the impatients who thirst only for fast-paced virtuosity, please jump straight away to 5:22 onwards and enjoy all the left-hand pizzicatos. Left-hand pizzicatos is analogous to playing a guitar with left-hand fingers only.

Actually, I wanted to put Anne Sophie-Mutter's, but it's audio only aka. no video. Well of course I could've put Perlman's yet again, but I thought this time should be by somebody else, for a change — still, check it out at least for the banter in the beginning.


No comments: